Monday, July 23, 2012

One Thing You Really Need to Start a Business



Last week I went to my first mixer at The Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce. Here I am talking with Bruce Carter, CEO of The Chamber, as a guest of my wingperson and BFF, Michelle Underdown of InFocus Rehab. I was not nervous (perhaps the fancy beer helped?) but at the time it felt weird to think that I belonged at that business event. Yet looking at this picture I realize that I was probably in my element, and I am grateful that I finally have taken the leap into owning my own business.

I have wanted to start my own business for a long time, but often figured I did not have the money to start one. I have made small investments in projects like The Victoria Stroller, and now I have started on momstown. I have come to realize that you do not need a lot of money to start your business, but you do need time.

It turns out that needing a lot of money to start a business is the number one myth about starting a business. Top 7 myths about starting a business lays out some of the excuses that may be preventing you from starting a business. In addition to not needing a lot of money, you also do not need a great idea, a catchy name or a detailed business plan to get started. The point is that starting a business is not as hard as you think. Qualities like ambition and motivation are the real necessities, and not money, location, etc. You also will need plenty of time, or, to be specific, time management...something I am learning myself, and I have made good progress on it in the last few weeks!

If you are thinking of starting a business, you should take a look at Starting a Small Business Guide from the BC government and keep up on the small business page in the Globe and Mail. And if you already have a small business in the Victoria area and would like to work with momstown, contact me and we can talk about how we can work together.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Melissa! You're doing such a great job with momstown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lisa. Part of my motivation comes from being a part of something I am very proud of, and having the network, resources and moral support behind me to do my best. Plus I'm having a lot of fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This very nice blog and very useful. If you want to get more information about the franchise opportunities in visit the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Melissa - momstown is fortunate to have your savvyness, strength & support!

    ReplyDelete