Saturday, December 8, 2012

momstown Victoria Holiday Cookie Exchange: Big Soft Ginger Cookies!

I've been pondering on the perfect cookie, bar or square to bring to our Mama Holiday Cookie Exchange this year. I haven't decided on what to bring yet, but I thought I'd share my cookie recipe from the last cookie exchange I was in. I had in mind the giant, delicious ginger cookies at Sally Bun on Fort Street, and found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that made big, soft cookies with just the right amount of ginger, a bit of crispness on the outside, but still very soft and chewy. The recipe is also a cinch to double or triple, which I strongly suggest, even if you're not exchanging cookies!


Big Soft Ginger Cookies
Yields 2 dozen

3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  1. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, egg, water and molasses.
  3. Add the sifted ingredients to the molasses mixture and mix well.
  4. Shape the dough into walnut sized balls (one and a half inches), and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
  5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy! I'm still looking for the perfect cookie to share this year. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment