TRIPLE HITTER MUFFINS
Our moms, dad and toddlers took turns helping to grate the zucchini and carrots, measuring the wet and dry ingredients, and whisking everything together. These healthy treats are also chock full of fruit and veggies.
¼ cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
¾ cup (175 mL) applesauce
1 cup (250 mL) grated carrots
1 cup (250 mL) grated zucchini
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose whole wheat flour
¾ cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Beat in egg, then applesauce. Stir in carrots and zucchini.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet, until just mixed. Grease 2 mini-muffin trays. Spoon batter to the very top of muffin cups and bake 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in a muffin.
FLAXSEED AND SESAME CRACKERS
These are a cinch to make and are very high in fibre and omega-3 fatty acids. You can use whole flaxseeds to make the crackers look prettier, but ground flaxseeds are more nutritious.
1 ½ cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
¼ cup flaxseeds, ground
¼ cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup all-purpose whole wheat flour (for dusting)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, brown sugar and salt. Drizzle butter over and stir to combine. Drizzle over with milk and stir until a dough forms. Chill dough 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut dough in half. On a heavily dusted countertop, gently flatten the dough into a disk, turning it over several times to cover in flour and prevent sticking. Roll out each piece as thinly as possible. Using a pizza cutter or chef’s knife, cut into 1 inch squares, or use a juice cup and stamp into round crackers. It’s best to bake remnants rather than roll out again; this dough requires a light touch.
- Arrange cut crackers on 2 ungreased baking sheets and put in the upper and middle racks of the oven. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, switching bottom and top baking sheets halfway through. Store in covered container for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe by Madeleine Greey.